now browsing by tag
Hydraulic Drifter Specialist
What is a Drifter?
You get two main types of Drifters also known as a Rock Drill – Hydraulic Drifter and Pneumatic Drifter (air). In this article we will be focusing on the HYDRAULIC DRIFTER used on Drill Rigs for Surface and Underground mining activities.
A hydraulic Drifter or Rock Drill is a high frequency hammer that uses shock wave transmission (Percussion), Rotation torque and water/air flushing to allow a drill bit to penetrate rocks. With years of advancement in materials and hydraulic technology there isn’t a cheaper, safer and faster way to drill into rocks to depths of 2m to 24m vertically or horizontally.
Below is a video on basic drilling principles that are applicable to surface and underground drilling.
Feed – Percussion – Rotation – Flushing
Where are Hydraulic Drifters used?
Surface and Underground Drill rigs
There are two main types of Drill rigs that use hydraulic drifters, Top hammer drills: Crawler drills that are used for opencast mining; and Drill jumbos that are used for operations such as tunnel and production drilling. Both types are mainly used to drill holes for charging explosives for blasting or roof support for safety.
Surface Drill Rigs
Open cast mines – Quarries – Construction sites:
CPA – Excavator Mounted Drill Attachment
Crawler Drill Rig
Underground Drill Rigs
Single Boom – Tunneling and Production Drilling
Double Boomer – Tunneling and Production Drilling
Rail track Mounted Boomer
Cable bolters and Rock Reinforcement
Also know as bore diameter (Internal Diameter): Hole Diameter varies depending on application, drifter power (kw) and rock hardness. On average hydraulic drifter can drill holes diameters ranging from +/- 24mm to 178mm.
Hydraulic Drifter Maintenance at Insumbi:
Hourly Maintenance is key:
When drilling the drifter begins to wear on certain internal components, there are strict hourly service intervals that when done saves companies money on repairs and catastrophic failures in the future.
The only way a Drilling Contractors/Mines or Construction Sites can save money on repairs is a strict a maintenance schedule for all drifters and drill Rigs.
Daily Maintenance should be carried out by a qualified site mechanics that have gone through our training course.
Drill Operators should be certified and re-certified when there has been site abuse identified through our rigorous failure reports and oil analysis that we issue to our customers.
400hr 800hr 1000 hr
That’s where Insumbi Technical Business fits in.
All our customers drifters that are in for repairs are placed on hourly maintenance. This allows us to build a history file on your hydraulic Drifter. Planned maintenance allows Insumbi to hold stock for quick repair turn around times and less down time.
Our extensive knowledge in the drilling industry and years of experience on Surface/Underground mines makes our service team the Leaders in Hydraulic Drifter Repairs. Our highly trained technicians will maintain and service your drifters while saving you down time and money.
- We are the leaders in the repair and maintenance hydraulic drifter / rock drill industry.
- We use OEM parts and Superior replacement parts.
- For extended quality all Drifters are dyno tested to simulate drilling environment. Performance is recorded to note which drifters are underperforming.
- All repairs and spares comes with OEM equivalent warranty
Insumbi Service Centre repairs the following drifters:
HC20 HC25 HC50 HC109 HC120 HC150 HC158 HC160
Sandvik (Tamrock) Rock Drill Repair
Atlas Copco (Epiroc) Drifter Repair
Furukawa Drifter Repair
HD700 Series and HD800 Series
Yamamoto YH Drifter Repair
TEI Drifter Repair
Epiroc DM30/Pit viper Service
Atlas Copco Epiroc Drill Master 30
Atlas Copco’s rotary and DTH drill rig, DM30, used on surface mines and quarries for blasthole drilling in Africa and other parts of the world.
For more than 30 years, the Drill MAster 30 drill rig – the smallest rotary and DTH model in the range – has retained its popularity among the world’s smaller mines and quarries.
Specially designed for drilling blastholes at a diameter range of 152 mm–200 mm (6 –7 ½ in) range to a maximum depth of 45 m (147 ft), this multi-pass rig has been a favorite choice for its productivity, but even more so for its ease of use and flexibility.
• A spacious one piece FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure) rated cab with electric over hydraulic controls that are common with the DM series makes it easy to operate, especially for drillers who have experience in other DM series machines.
• The DM30 II is designed for mining and the structural components will hold up to the heavy duty cycles required in a mining drill.
• For single pass applications the DM30 II can achieve a clean hole depth of 7.9m (26 ft) and for multi pass depth can achieve depths of up to 44.5m (146 ft).
• The DM30 II compact design allows for easy transport between benches or even between mine properties.
With trained technicians we can repair and rebuild and service your DM30 Plant and restore it to its original state.
We accept repairs from allover South Africa and Africa.
Pump drivetrain transmission (Funk) repairs
John Deere Funk Modular pump driver repairs
- Modular design provides a choice of horsepower, torque, gear ratios, pump adapters, mounting options and more
- Offers more than 5,000 configurations to meet countless equipment needs with quiet operation, performance and dependability
- Operates from an independent mount, direct-engine mount or as a clutch-driven unit
- Adapters are available in a variety of engine housings and flywheel sizes
- Delivers a maximum input torque of 1,695 Nm (1,250 lbs.-ft.) and maximum input power of 522 kW (700 hp)
- Features gear center of 203 mm (8 in.) and a spur gear with a ball bearing design